otaku escape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The escape for anime veterans and fledglings.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you reading?

Go down 
+3
Akiahara
angel fangs
Serenity
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Serenity

Serenity

What are you reading? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Lou- I really liked Shadow's Return. I could see an improvement in her writing, and there weren't any overly long descriptions/history lessons (at least that I can remember). Yes, there were parts of the book that were a bit difficult to read, but you still get a mostly happy ending.

Btw, Lynn Flewelling posted the first 3 chapters of the next book. Yay!
Warning: Spoilers for Shadow's Return.
Spoiler:

Kimya- I love the Hollow series, and I've actually reread the series before. Black Magic Sanction was soo good. I'm already going crazy waiting for the next one. Laughing I was the opposite on the Vampire Earth series. I really like the character, I just had to take a break from the series after a while because it became somewhat depressing. I do know what you mean about the character though.

I had to take a break from another series I was working my way through because they were making me really depressed: The Farseer books by Robin Hobb. The books are so so good and the characters are incredibly real. I lost sleep because I would stay awake thinking about the books. But the things this guy goes through. Its just so depressing. I had to take a break or people were going to start asking me if I was ok. Laughing I plan to go back to them, but for now, I'm going to read something else.

Just bought the newest Cal Leandros book Roadkill by Rob Thurman, so now of course I must reread the entire series. Really enjoyable books. They don't suck me in like the Hollow series or Melusine books, but still a great read. Obviously, I am a fan of rereading.
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 pm

I finished the newest Lynn Flewelling book The White Road. I enjoyed it and I still love the series, but there was something I wish had turned out differently. Its a huge part of the book, so I don't want to give away any spoilers. Anyone read this yet?

I almost bought Chimera by Rob Thurman when I picked up White Road, but decided to wait until it was available at the library. Its about two brothers - one was kidnapped and trained to become an assassin, and his brother rescues him. I seem to read a lot of books about brothers.
Blurb:
Quote :
Ten years ago, Stefan Korsak's younger brother was kidnapped. No one knew who took Lukas, or why. He was simply gone. But not a day has passed that Stefan hasn't thought about him. As a rising figure in the Russian mafia, he has finally found him.

But when he rescues Lukas, he must confront a terrible truth--his brother is no longer his brother. He is a killer. Trained, brainwashed, and genetically transformed into a flesh-and-blood machine with only one purpose--assassination. Now, those who created him…will do anything to reclaim him.

And the closer Stefan grows to his brother, the more he realizes that saving Lukas may be easier than surviving him…
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Nope haven't read the one my Thurman, though it really doesn't sound like my kind of thing. Still it does sound interesting.

I think I'm gonna hold off on White Road and it's predecessor. Shadow's return barely interested me to begin with and it sounds like White Road isn't going to thrill me either. It's too bad because I really loved those guys.

Anyone read Bullet by LKH yet? I have to say even with as much sex as the book had I was really intrigued by the whole idea behind the plot. There were so many past events that were discussed and seemed to have an actual impact on where the story was headed and why. I don't want to give any spoilers, but I have to say I almost loved this book. And I almost love Richard again. It was nice to see Asher again, even if he was mainly being his pouty self, but to me I think it was about time he put his foot down.

I also read the new Bleach manga out in English this month. Still as good as I remember but there are times I really want to strangle VIZ for sanitizing the translations.

I also read the new Dark Hunter manga. It was yummy goodness. I'd forgotten how much I loved Kyrian's story.

I really loved the new YA dark hunter book staring Nick as a teenager. I'm still not sure how thrilled I am that some of history is being rewritten in the dark hunter universe, but I totally understand why she's doing it and why it makes sense to the story. It just sets with me wrong to see history rewritten even for the best of reasons. Other than that it was a fabulous book though.
Back to top Go down
http://annieroo2.livejournal.com/9298.html
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 11:40 am

I haven't finished White Road yet. Its...good, but the story just isn't as spellbinding as the first 3. I'm working on it though.

Haven't bought Bullet since I really haven't had the money, but now I'm intersted so I'm going to check out some used bookstores today and see if I can find a copy there. If not, I might have to drop the big money and just buy it new. We'll see.

As for Vampire Earth books, I still haven't been able finish the second book. The character and story are both rapidly losing appeal for me. I love the general idea behind the book, but I feel like the author has gone on some kind of tangent and its driving me nuts.

I have been reading a series called Maximum Ride by James Patterson. Its actually a really great story about kids who were engineered and have bird DNA and hence have wings. I bought the first one at a used book store and now have all of them. I'm actually about midway through the latest book right now.

Loved the beginningof the Dark Hunter series, but I honestly haven't' been interested in it since I read Acheron's book. If I'm honest, he's the only one I really cared about in the series. I barely remember and of the others. except the Liger guy.
Back to top Go down
http://kimya-san.deviantart.com/
Akiahara
Admin
Akiahara

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 12:13 pm

i've been too freaking busy to read. and what free time i have has gone to gaming or actually being social in real life.

the past three weekends i haven't even been home. >.<

so i started bullet, but i got to the big asher/richard/anita/jean-claude scene, and stopped. i'm also halfway through hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, and the fifth honor harrington book by david weber.

i haven't even read the newest sookie, and that shit's been out forever.

super bad reader lately... FOR SHAME, FOR SHAME.

how was the acheron book? i'm not a kenyon fan, though i was interested in his story. never read it, though. i don't remember anyone, really... i remember that greek god guy that was, like, pre-dark hunter.
Back to top Go down
https://otakuescape.darkbb.com
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Acheron was decent. I'm not a big fan of Kenyon's writing style. Sometimes I feel like the certain scenes were written by a 15 year for all their lack of imagination. I just love Acheron. But the story was overly dramatic and overly tragic. But I still enjoyed it.

Gotta get Bullet since now I'm CRAZY curious about what happens. Especially since I have the rest of the week to myself. I can actually catch up on some reading. Oh, gaming. I really need to finish FFX already. But its so HARD sometimes. I'm like the worst gamer ever.
Back to top Go down
http://kimya-san.deviantart.com/
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 am

Learn sign language in a hurry
The everything sign language book : American Sign Language made easy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
otaku escape :: The Real Deal :: Books-
Jump to: