otaku escape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The escape for anime veterans and fledglings.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you reading?

Go down 
+3
Akiahara
angel fangs
Serenity
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Serenity

Serenity

What are you reading? Empty
PostSubject: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 10:12 am

I always like these threads, so thought i'd make one here. XD

Finished Valentine's Rising (Bk 4, Vampire Earth) by E.E. Knight, and now reading Valentine's Exile (Bk 5, Vampire Earth). I really love these books.

Also finished another novel that was really good, but I cannot remember the name of it. I'll have to find the book when I get home. Its a scifi book that I randomly picked up at a used bookstore, and it turned out to be a really interesting read. I'm going to have to find more of that author's novels.
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:56 am

Serenity wrote:
I always like these threads, so thought i'd make one here. XD

Finished Valentine's Rising (Bk 4, Vampire Earth) by E.E. Knight, and now reading Valentine's Exile (Bk 5, Vampire Earth). I really love these books.

Also finished another novel that was really good, but I cannot remember the name of it. I'll have to find the book when I get home. Its a scifi book that I randomly picked up at a used bookstore, and it turned out to be a really interesting read. I'm going to have to find more of that author's novels.

Found the book. It's called Godheads by Emily Devenport.
Quote :
Frozen in stasis for 1,000 years, with her memory erased as punishment for a long-forgotten crime, Edna has been reborn as the chosen ambassador to an incredible new world. Now on a perilous mission--to infiltrate the vast communications monopoly of the GodWorld Net--visions of her past begin to surface, and her allies become her deadliest enemies. Now there is only one way to save her own life and find her way back to Earth: to find the missing pieces of her life before her future is destroyed forever.

It had a really interesting twist that I wasn't expecting when I first start reading it.
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 4:11 am

ohhh, i love book threads like this!!!

i've just finished reading a company of liars by karen maitland, it's about medievil britain and the plague!!! i read it cos i read anther of her books called the owl killers which was again historical and it had a supernatural twist to it!!! oh, and it had a gay priest that was heavily in denial!!! flower

and before that i read the ladies lending library by janice kyluk keefer, it's about women who lend racy books to each other to break the boredom of looking after their children and husbands during the summer and they're all ukranians who have moved to canada, so there was lots of words i really didn't understand!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Akiahara
Admin
Akiahara

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:25 pm

waking this thread up...

i just read "curse the dawn" by karen chance. i fucking love this series!

right now, i'm in the middle of "hunting ground" by patricia briggs. it's okay. not fantastic, but okay. the alpha and omega novels aren't as good as the mercy thompson series.

i'm about to get my hot little hands on the new jeaniene frost, too... really want that one. XD
Back to top Go down
https://otakuescape.darkbb.com
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Karen Chance? I think I have some of her books. But I don't remember them well. Is she the virgin witch chick who has a Vampire who wants to be her lover or some crap?

I'm just started reading Way of the Wolf, by E.E. Knight. Its the first book in a series called Vampire Earth. So far I really like it. Its a different take of Vampires that I haven't really read in while. Kind of clashes with my normal Vampires are Sexy perception Laughing

Also bought a book called Greywalker I think. Its seems interesting. I haven't started reading it yet.
Back to top Go down
http://kimya-san.deviantart.com/
windelf_j

windelf_j

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 2:13 am

the graywalker series is great, also magic bites, anything by ce murphy, faith hunter, lilith saintcrow, sj day, and so many more. money has been so tight that i ve not been able to go to the bookstore so sad makes me want to cry. lucky i have dramas, anime, movies, and books to reread to help me out.
Back to top Go down
Akiahara
Admin
Akiahara

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 2:31 am

i couldn't get into lilith saintcrow's other series... the paranormal bounty hunter chick? i need to try again, because i LOVE LOVE LOVE her other series. japhrimel is one of my favorite fictional characters eveeeeeeer...

karen chance... kim, that sounds right, though it's not actually about the romance. there's a shitload that happens, though i happen to love mircea (the vampire), so... yeah. i think they're really good. ^__^
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:26 pm

ok lately i've been reading historical romances!!! weird, i know!!! i normally never read this kinda stuff!!!

i've read what happens in london by julia quinn and to sir philip with love also by that author and on the way to the wedding also by her!!! i really like her books and style of writing!!!

i also read the stake by richard laymon, as with all his books someone gets tortured, raped and murdered, but in this one there's a vampire!!!
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 9:59 pm

kimya wrote:
Karen Chance? I think I have some of her books. But I don't remember them well. Is she the virgin witch chick who has a Vampire who wants to be her lover or some crap?

I'm just started reading Way of the Wolf, by E.E. Knight. Its the first book in a series called Vampire Earth. So far I really like it. Its a different take of Vampires that I haven't really read in while. Kind of clashes with my normal Vampires are Sexy perception Laughing

Also bought a book called Greywalker I think. Its seems interesting. I haven't started reading it yet.

I'm reading the Vampire Earth series too. I really like them! Smile I'm working on Vampire Exile now.

Also reading Course of Action by Gun Brooke - its a romance b/n an actress and a publisher - quite nice so far. I really like how the romance is slowly developing b/n the two women. Not amazing or anything, but its a good read. I wish i could find some more good f/f books or series. I've only found a few that I really love, and a lot of mediocre books.

And started reading Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, but haven't gotten very far yet as its friggin depressing. I've been told by a friend that its an excellent book, so i'm going to try to get through it.

I really should just pick one book and finish it, instead of constantly starting new books. Thats probably why i'm having so much trouble finishing a book lately. lol
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Serenity wrote:

I'm reading the Vampire Earth series too. I really like them! Smile I'm working on Vampire Exile now.

Also reading Course of Action by Gun Brooke - its a romance b/n an actress and a publisher - quite nice so far. I really like how the romance is slowly developing b/n the two women. Not amazing or anything, but its a good read. I wish i could find some more good f/f books or series. I've only found a few that I really love, and a lot of mediocre books.

And started reading Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, but haven't gotten very far yet as its friggin depressing. I've been told by a friend that its an excellent book, so i'm going to try to get through it.

I really should just pick one book and finish it, instead of constantly starting new books. Thats probably why i'm having so much trouble finishing a book lately. lol

i read the lovely bones when i was 13 and you're right it's kinda depressing!!! i think it's one of those books you have to read once in your life!!! i've also read lucky by the same author, it's the true story of how she was raped when she was 18 years old!!! like the lovely bones it's depressing, sad, scary and harrowing at times, it's a true suvivor story!!!
Back to top Go down
Akiahara
Admin
Akiahara

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 2:41 pm

i'm still reading "hunting ground"...

but i picked up the new jeaniene frost and jenna black, and FINALLY the newest mercy by patricia briggs. short books in hardcover kinda piss me off, but i really want to read it, so... i broke down.
Back to top Go down
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Aki-chan- You mean Bones Crossed or Crossed bones or whatever? I LOVED that book. The Mercy Thompson books are some of my favorite mainly because its about Mercy and not all about romance.

I read the first Karen Chance book and really enjoyed it, I'd have to re-read it though to be able to get into the second book. And my damn time is so limited by school.

Serenity- Vampire Earth is good!I'm on the first book Way of the Wolf and its slow going since I have school and what not, but I'm loving it so far. Its such a different take on Vampires. Its so so different from almost any book I've ever read and I love that about it. I have no clue where things are going right now but I'm loving it anyway.

Wind_elf- Glad to hear the Greywalker series is good. It looked really interesting.

I got a new book yesterday too, its the 4th book in the Zodiac series by Vikki Petterson. I truly love her books, probably because the main character is soo damn arrogant, she's completely like a Leo and I love that about her.

Sheesh, my biggest problem is that I'm finding all these books to read and I have no time to read them!!
scratch
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:34 am

Almost finished with Vampire's Exile! I've been getting back into reading again, and will start Vampire's Resolve next. yay!

LN - Yeah, I really love this series. Its so different from other vampire books, and i never get bored reading them. Smile I believe there are 7 books so far.

angel fangs - I still haven't read more than just the first chapter, but i plan to finish Lovely Bones once I finish some of the other books I'm reading.

Also, just ordered a new book called The Spanish Pearl by Catherine Friend. I really hope its good. I haven't had great luck with romance/adventure books lately, but I do love time travel novels.

Blurb from amazon:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 2:24 am

serenity, lovely bones is worth reading, just have chocolate and/or a vampire romance nearby to cheer you up afterwards!!! that's what i did!!!

i just finished prom nights from hell, it's like an anthology book with 5 different authors including stephenie meyer, kim harrison and meg cabot!!! it's great, i really enjoyed it!!!

i'm heading to the library today, so should come back with something new to read!!! i keep re-reading my sherrilyn kenyon books, i need new reading material!!!
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 10:30 am

ok, i didn't get to go in the library yesterday!!! but i read ten storey love song by richrd milward, it's about being workingclass/underclass and british!!! it's written and set in middlesbrough, which is only a couple of hours away from where i live!!! it's good, but contains a lot of drug usage!!!
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:40 am

Read Skinwalker by Faith Hunter. First time in a long time that i've enjoyed reading a paranormal book (other than books by kim harrison and charlaine harris). main character is actually intelligent and i wasn't bored at all reading this. its the first book in a new series. i think the next one comes out jan 2010.

Currently reading Valentine's Resolve (Vampire Earth, Book 6) by E.E. Knight. The time skips between books are a little confusing to me sometimes, since I tend to forget a lot, but so far I like it. I think I like the earlier books better, but I've only read a few chapters so i guess its still too soon to tell.

Next up is Branded Ann by Merry Shannon.
Back to top Go down
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:14 pm

Well I misplaced my book Choices of the Cat, the second Vampire Earth book. But I found it today so I'm excited.

I tried reading Greywalker by Kat Richardson and so far I'm not feeling it so much. We'll see how I feel after I read the Vampire Earth book.

Next I'll probably be reading the new Vicky Petterson book City of Soul (I think). I really love this series. The main character has her stupid and spontaneous moment but I still enjoy it.

Not sure what I'll be reading after that, it'll probably take me forever just to finish those 3 books.

Serenity-What's Skinwalker about? I'm always looking for good Paranormal books these days since the market has been flooded with crap.

And what is Lovely Bones about?
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:44 am

Here's a description of Skinwalker from Faith Hunter's website:

Quote :
Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind—a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. Back from hiatus, she’s hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katies’s Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who’s killing other vamps.

Amidst a bordello full of real “ladies of the night,” and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission—or else the next skin she’ll need to save just may be her own…

I really think its worth a read. Its paranormal but its not a romance and it has a smart heroine. She can be a bit reckless sometimes, but she's not dumb.

Here's an excerpt of chapter 1:
http://www.faithhunter.net/skinwalker-excerpt.html

I haven't read Lovely Bones yet. It was recommended to me by a friend though and it has been made into a movie. Lovely Bones starts off with a girl being murdered and then she watches over her family from heaven and waits for her murderer to be caught. I plan to read some Janet Evanovich or some other funny book after I finish it b/c it's looks like it will be kind of sad.

Here's the movie preview:

Back to top Go down
windelf_j

windelf_j

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Serenity wrote:
Read Skinwalker by Faith Hunter. First time in a long time that i've enjoyed reading a paranormal book (other than books by kim harrison and charlaine harris). main character is actually intelligent and i wasn't bored at all reading this. its the first book in a new series. i think the next one comes out jan 2010.

Currently reading Valentine's Resolve (Vampire Earth, Book 6) by E.E. Knight. The time skips between books are a little confusing to me sometimes, since I tend to forget a lot, but so far I like it. I think I like the earlier books better, but I've only read a few chapters so i guess its still too soon to tell.

have you read faith hunter's rogue series. i loved that series and really hope there will be more books.
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 pm

ok, i have read my big fat paranormal wedding by a collection of authors, like sherrilyn kenyon and charlaine harris!!! it's great!!! i loves acheron!!!

and i've read i love you beth cooper by larry doyle, who wrote the simpsons!!! it's a story of graduation night, when denis finds out who beth cooper really is!!! she has a military boyfriend who likes to kill things and she touches penises for beer!!!it's so funny, my fave character is rich, denis's best and only friend, who is gay until he has a threesome with 2 female cheerleaders!!!
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 5:32 pm

windelf_j wrote:
Serenity wrote:

have you read faith hunter's rogue series. i loved that series and really hope there will be more books.

No, I haven't had a chance to read those yet. I'll have to look for them, when I finally get caught up on some of my reading. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:16 am

Man I haven't read anything that wasn't by a standby author in so long. I really need to get back to doing that.

I mean I even have JD Robbs new book, the two latest Bleach volumes, the last winter demon manga and two James PAtterson mangas. Its horrifying to realize how out of touch with real books I am.

So anyone else have time to read over the holidays?
Back to top Go down
http://annieroo2.livejournal.com/9298.html
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Other than my online manga and webcomics, the only thing I'm reading right now is a cookbook. Laughing I really need to get back into reading.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Oh now that's yummy reading! :-P
Back to top Go down
http://annieroo2.livejournal.com/9298.html
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Finally started reading Lovely Bones and it's actually quite good. I'll probably finish it over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
otaku escape :: The Real Deal :: Books-
Jump to: