otaku escape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The escape for anime veterans and fledglings.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you reading?

Go down 
+3
Akiahara
angel fangs
Serenity
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Serenity

Serenity

What are you reading? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Finished a couple of books last week:

Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale
Blood Memories (Book 1) by Barb Hendee
Hunting Memories (Book 2) by Barb Hendee

Wicked Gentlemen was ok, but I loved Barb Hendee's books. I like her other series (Noble Dead), but I like the Vampire Memories books better. Can't wait for the next one to come out.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Finally reading Kindred in Death by JD Robb. It's really good. Gruesome but good.
Back to top Go down
http://annieroo2.livejournal.com/9298.html
meesh

meesh

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 6:11 pm

I love the 'In Death' series. I'm only missing the most recent book (or two maybe)
Back to top Go down
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 4:06 pm

I love the In Death Series too, but I'm behind by a couple books.

I love Barb Hendee too, though I haven't read the books she wrote by herself. I'll have to check those out.

I've gone on a bit of a binge with books since I suddenly have lots of free time. I read 3 books by Faith Hunter but it was her Rogue Mage series. I liked the books but the main character annoyed me sometimes.

Also read Percy Jackson and The Olympians, The Lightning Theif. That was a good book. I really can't wait to read the second one.

Read Cirque Du Freak and found it...interesting. I want to read the next book, but I don't know if I like it enough.

I'm currently re-reading Narcicuss in Chains since I found it completely by accident on the laundry room bookshelf that they have at my new apartment. Forgot how much I loved Anita books.

Still have a couple books that I plan to read, just have to get around to them. I haven't finished Choice of the Cat yet, but its my stand-by book at the moment. What I read when I have nothing else to read. We'll see, gotta hit up the bookstore today since LKH's new book is coming out and I actually want to read it.
Back to top Go down
http://kimya-san.deviantart.com/
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:04 pm

I've read some of the Cirque Du Freak books. They were interesting, but the authors writing annoys me. He seems to be quite fond of exclamation points. Rolling Eyes Still, I plan to rent the movie when it comes to dvd. I liked the premise; it was mostly the writing I had issues with.

Barb Hendee's solo books are definitely worth checking out. I prefer them to the books she wrote wrote with her husband.

I tried to read Faith Hunter's Rogue series but couldn't get into them. *shrug* I liked Skinwalker though and plan to read the next in the series.

I've also been on a book binge. I finished Brethren: Raised By Wolves, Volume One and Matelots: Raised By Wolves, Volume Two by W.A. Hoffman. And just started Treasure: Raised By Wolves, Volume Three. Basically its gay historical fiction, with a lot more romance and sex than I expected. Also has some melodrama, but still a quite enjoyable read.
Back to top Go down
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:15 pm

Yeah, I like the story of Cirque Du Freak but the writing is kind of annoying. I do want to see the movie though.

I'll have to check them out next time I have money to buy new books.

I like the Rogue series. Haven't tried the Skinwalker though. Maybe I'll check that one out too.

Hoffman sounds interesting. I'm always down to read more gay fiction.

I read a series once, it was only 2 books, but the main character was a lesbian. I'd love to find another fantasy series where there were lesbians. Have you heard of any?
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Kimya - Sorry, I don't really know of any lesbian fantasy series. The only lesbian series I can think of is Nicola Griffith's Aud Torvingen books (The Blue Place, Stay, Always), but they aren't fantasy.

What fantasy series did you read? Was it any good? I've read a few fantasy stand alone books that were good, but no series:
Sword of the Guardian by Merry Shannon
Branded Ann by Merry Shannon
The Spanish Pearl by Catherine Friend
A Taste for Blood by Diana Lee - Well, this last one is actually paranormal and its a vampire novel, but I really liked this book.

Oh wait, I do know of a fantasy series. /facepalm Can't believe I forgot about it:
Tristaine series by Cate Culpepper
1) The Clinic
2) Battle for Tristaine
3) Tristaine Rises
4) Queens of Tristaine
I've only read the first 2 books so far, but they're pretty good.

And I was doing a google seach and stumbled across this: http://www.afterellen.com/node/4552
There are some series recommended, so maybe there will be something you'll like. I thought the Boudica books by Manda Scott and the Chris Anne Wolfe books looked kind of interesting. Hmmm
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 2:32 pm

ok, i haven't posted here in a while!
i've read:

all 12 of the saga of darren shan(in preparation for the film cirque du freak, i saw the trailer and i don't think they got evra right).

some of julliet marillers books, i honestly couldn't say which cos they are all kinda samey and surreal, but i like them.

frostbitten by kelley armstrong, i love her books.

and the first 3 league novels by sherrilyn kenyon, i adore her books. i can't wait for the next one.

and gothic charm school by jillian venters. i love it, finally after months of waiting for my order i have the lady of the manners book!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Are the League books as good as Kenyon's Dark Hunter Series? I've had them on my list to buy but keep putting it off because I'm afraid they can't possibly be as good.
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 am

Lou wrote:
Are the League books as good as Kenyon's Dark Hunter Series? I've had them on my list to buy but keep putting it off because I'm afraid they can't possibly be as good.

i think they're better! *ducks the popcorn being thrown at me*

i know, how can they be better? well they don't have vampires, gods and were-animals in them like the dark hunter books, but they have assassins, smugglers, royalty and soldiers! they're more adventure/sci-fi than horror, but there is plenty of violence, men with checkered pasts, romance against all odds and they're all kinda interlinked, much like the dark hunter books! i personally love them and am currently re-re-re-re-reading born of fire, really it's open next to the computer as i type! if you're unsure if you want to buy them, maybe you could get them from a library, because they're really worth reading!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Definitely sounds up my alley! I think you're right I'll put them on the library list. I can always buy them later if I fall in love. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:24 am

Lou wrote:
Definitely sounds up my alley! I think you're right I'll put them on the library list. I can always buy them later if I fall in love. Very Happy

yay!

ok, currently reading divine by mistake by p. c. cast! it's actually really good, a woman is swapped with a priestess and ends up in a different world where she is forced to marry a hunky centaur(it's ok he can shape shift into human form)!

i didn't think in would be that good as i read the house of night series by p.c. cast and kristin cast (her daughter) and they aren't as good, the main character seems like a bit of a slut too! i love a minor character from that series though, damien, i think he's wonderful and i hope he and jack will be happy, i hope they don't ruin them too!
Back to top Go down
meesh

meesh

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 6:52 am

I like the house of night books. I don't think she's a slut, I think she's a really confused teenager who doing some stupid things. And not always her fault. (don't want to spoil it)
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:30 am

meesh wrote:
I like the house of night books. I don't think she's a slut, I think she's a really confused teenager who doing some stupid things. And not always her fault. (don't want to spoil it)

i agree that she is confused and things are not always her fault. i also think she has been mislead by the people around her(the high priestess especially), but i started hating her after the scene with the vampire poet, can't remember his name. that's when i started reading the books just for the minor characters. i, however have only read the first 5 book in the series, (cos my local library is crappy and i refuse to buy them) so if things have changed in 2 books then hopefully i'll enjoy them!

i've also read the first 3 books in the mortal instruments series by cassandra clare! i love them! i can't wait for the 4th book in 2011! they are supernatural, contain demons and runes! my favourite character is magnus the warlock, he is always wearing something blue and sparkly!
Back to top Go down
Akiahara
Admin
Akiahara

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 9:04 am

i have no idea what any of you are talking about. haha. except for kenyon, who i don't like at all. T___T

ummmmmmm, the last books i picked up were by caitlin kittredge - witch craft, and two other in her black london series. her protagonist, luna, is like a less sex addled anita who's less bitchy. woot. XD
Back to top Go down
https://otakuescape.darkbb.com
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 3:03 pm

I know a few of you here read Lynn Flewelling. I finally read the first Nightrunner book and I liked the hints of relationship between Seregil and Alec, but I was hoping someone could tell me if it ever gets to be more than UST one-sided stuff?

I like my fantasy with more romance and if there's no promise of a future romance between these two then I doubt I'll be reading anymore, even if the story line is somewhat intriguing.

So can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Lou wrote:
I know a few of you here read Lynn Flewelling. I finally read the first Nightrunner book and I liked the hints of relationship between Seregil and Alec, but I was hoping someone could tell me if it ever gets to be more than UST one-sided stuff?

I like my fantasy with more romance and if there's no promise of a future romance between these two then I doubt I'll be reading anymore, even if the story line is somewhat intriguing.

So can anyone help?

Oh, it definitely turns into a real romance, Lou. Keep reading! Its a gradual shift in the relationship from friends to lovers, but don't worry there will be romance. XD

I just finished a reread of the latest Nightrunners book Shadows Return. So good! The new book is supposed to come out sometime this year but I'm not sure what month. Now I am reading all of Dawn Cook's Truth books again. I just started the last book in the series Lost Truth. I recently found out that Dawn Cook and Kim Harrison are actually the same person, so I'm doing a reread of all the books just for kicks. And cause I don't have anything new to read. lol
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 12:15 am

Cool! I guess I'll keep reading them then. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Ah, Ive been absent!

Thanks for the list Serenity. I'll have to spend a day at the bookstore looking for them and checking them all out.

Right now I just started Kim Harrison's new book. I love it so far.

I've read 4 of the 5 Percy Jackson books and really like them. They remind me ALOT of Harry Potter of course, but most of that is the freaking cover art. Totally can't help but thing of Harry then. Haven't seen the movie but want to. I hear its good.

Am, definitely thinking of checking out some of the books you guys are talking about here. Not really into Kenyon anymore. I used to really like her, but ever since reading Acheron I'm all set. Lol. He is pretty much the main reason I read the books at all.

Once I finish Harrison's newest then I'll delve into some of the books you Ladies are talking about.

Lou-Yeah, definitely keep reading. I love the series and the romance goes from implied and one-sided to full-blown.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 12:13 pm

I did end up reading the first 3 Nightrunner books. They were pretty good. I had to skim read some of it cause she gets seriously out of control with the descriptions sometimes. But the story and the understated romance was nicely done.

I'm not so sure how interested i am in the next one though. Having the boys separated and tortured most of the book doesn't really float my boat.

Anybody that's read it, can you tell me how bad it is? I'm thinking I might wait until the new one comes out in May and then at least maybe get a happy ending out of the second in the series.
Back to top Go down
angel fangs

angel fangs

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:54 pm

ok, haven't been here in a while, but i got the reckoning by kelley armstrong today! it's brilliant, i've already read it twice! it's supposedly being released on the 6th of april, so i looked at the postman funny as i wasn't expecting any books, but the i opened it and i'm fairly certain he must have heard my fangirlish squeals and eeks from down the street! it is just so good, i'd really like to thank waterstones, i pre-ordered, got money off my book and got it 10 days before the release date, i'll have to order some more books from them!

i've also read a couple of books by l. j. smith the author of the books the tv series the vampire diaries is based on. i can't remember what the titles were but they were about witches, so i assume they aren't the vampire diaries! i'll have to pay more attention to the titles and authors of the books i read!

has anyone read flirt by lkh? is it worth buying? or just putting on my to be borrowed from the library list?
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Oh Kelley Armstrong I really need to get back to reading her stuff again. Very Happy

I thought flirt was just okay. Unless you really LOVE Micah and Nathaniel I'd just borrow it. It had enough Jason in it for me to like, but I still got it from the library. It does have more plot than usual and a decent mystery, but it mainly revolved around Micah, Nathaniel and Jason somewhat.
Back to top Go down
meesh

meesh

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

The LJ Smith books about witches are "The secret circle" series.
Back to top Go down
Serenity

Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 7:54 pm

I finished Jumper 1 and 2 by Stephen Gould and reread A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison. Next up is a reread of the rest of the Rachel Morgan series to get ready for the newest book.
Back to top Go down
kimya
Mod Queen
kimya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 7:49 am

Lou- I've read the 4th Nightrunner book and I really enjoyed it. It's definitely hard seeing the boys apart but the story is really good. And you'll get your happy ending at the end. Well mostly happy since they end up back together and all that.

I liked Flirt. Unlike seemingly a lot of people I like Micah and I love Nataniel and Jason so it was nice to get to see them all getting some decent screentime. I also enjoyed the story since it was mainly story and not so much about sex and Arduer feedings. I'd say if you like Micah, Jason, Nathaniel, and violence buy it. If you're really unsure though, I vote library. What I usually do with LKH books these days and start reading it in the store. If I have to go home and I don't want to put it down then I buy it. If I'm okay putting it down and coming back later then that's what I do.

I've only read 2 Kelly Armstrong books but I really enjoyed those. I supposed I should check out more of her stuff but it just doesn't appeal to me very much.

Serenity- I was thinking of doing that too since its been so long since I read the Rachel Morgan books from the beginning. I think I've forgotten some stuff.

I'm almost finished with the 2nd book in The Vampire Earth Series. I like these books but sometimes its so hard to get into the story. The main character seems to lack...emotion maybe? I don't know. I mean the action and story are crazy interesting but I don't feel a huge emotional connection to the main character so that makes it really hard for me to read.

I'm hoping to hit the used books store today with all these recs and see if I can find some of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
otaku escape :: The Real Deal :: Books-
Jump to: